Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Assistant coordinates all administrative and operational aspects of the Program of Latina and Latino Studies, an interdisciplinary undergraduate program at Northwestern offering a major and minor. The Program Assistant provides service and support to the Program's faculty and students and works collaboratively with a number of other academic programs, departments, and other University offices.
- Coordinate and make arrangements for lectures, conferences, and other special events. Arrange for all publicity, venue reservations, outreach, visitor support, catering, and other aspects of event planning, researching options, and making recommendations to the director. Assure events are within budget. Attendance at events outside normal business hours may be required.
- Respond to phone calls, emails, mail, and other inquiries from current and prospective students, community organizations, faculty, and staff. Provide accurate and current information regarding the program's requirements and offerings.
- Maintain budget oversight in partnership with the Director. Reconcile budget monthly, assuring the validity of transactions. Purchase supplies and materials. Make travel arrangements and process reimbursements for faculty, visitors, and students. Process payment of invoices. Maintain financial records for the Latina o Studies Program.
- Update the program's website on an ongoing basis, including information about faculty, students, courses, and events. Maintain the program’s social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.) Maintain a calendar of events. Support production of a weekly and periodic newsletter.
- Hire and supervise work-study students. Plan and assign work and provide input on appraisals.
- Coordinate course and teaching schedules, course materials, and book orders. With the director, assure the timely completion of the quarterly course schedule.
- Provide support to the Director and Program faculty as requested.
- Provide basic backup support to the Council for Race and Ethnic Studies, Asian American Studies Program which shares office space with the Latina and Latino Studies Program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent education, training, and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- At least four years of administrative support experience.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel, as well as a web updating tool such as Adobe Contribute.
- Strong ability to adapt and to learn on the job.
- Initiative and resourcefulness.
- Familiarity with Latina o community organizations, nationwide and in Chicago.
- Fully bilingual with the ability to read, speak and write fluent English and Spanish
- Experience in a university environment and administrative experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience maintaining websites using a tool such as Adobe Contribute.
- Previous experience with budgets and financial functions.
- Experience supervising students or other staff.
Apply Here: https://careers.northwestern.edu/
Once in, search by job ID: 41749
Back to top